Friday, July 24, 2009

Friday Prayer at Masjid Pakistan, Kuala Lumpur

This morning I went to the Police Station and made a report with regard to yesterday's attempt to break into our house. The officer who took the report was the same officer who received my call that night. That really helps in writing down the details of the incident. Another officer who came to our house that night informed me that early this morning they spotted a man carrying a big parang with a bag roaming around Taman Tun, however he escaped when they tried to catch him. So be careful if you want to move around early morning.

Today I had a lunch at Grand Season Hotel, opposite of Kuala Lumpur General Hospital. My colleagues at the department organized a farewell lunch for me, although I'm leaving at the end of August, but since Ramadhan is approaching they decided to have an early makan-makan.

For Friday Prayers, my friends and I decided to pray at Masjid Pakistan near Chow Kit. At 1:15 p.m. the masjid was already full with people, while the water for ablution was so slow that it is almost impossible to make ablution there. There was a speaker asking for donation while waiting for prayer time, and it was delivered in Urdu. I managed to sneak a place within the main prayer hall. Surprisingly, I saw a square hole above the mihrab - this must have been something to do with the view of certain jurists that for those who pray on the above floor, there must be a direct hole for them to see the imam leading the prayer downstairs, otherwise the congregation of those upstairs are not accepted. Then I was really surprised at the khutbah - in less than five minutes the khutbah ended. The imam delivered the whole khutbah in Arabic, although it sounds more like an Urdu (or Hindi) song (or poem) to me.

That's the shortest Friday Khutbah that I have ever attended throughout my life. The first azan was made around 1:40 p.m., and before 2:00 p.m. everything was done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

different countries hv different way of delivering the sermon,,, before the khutbah u mentioned, the imam speeches about life oh Muhammad SAW and other islamic events which is unlike Malaysian mosques where the sermon is always about our life,, not about life of the prophets.